NEW DELHI: Lockdown, timely identification and management of Covid-19 cases in the country has kept the number of deaths restricted to 0.3 per lakh of the total population while the world average stands at 4.4 per lakh population, according to the ministry of health. The ministry informed that 6,535 more coronavirus cases have been reported in India in the last 24 hours, taking the total number of Covid-19 cases to 1,45,380 with 4,167 deaths.
Here are the top developments:
- The Union ministry of health said that the recovery rate of Covid-19 cases in India has been improving considerably. A total of 60,490 patients have recovered so far from Covid-19. The recovery rate continues to improve and presently it is 41.61 per cent.
- The ministry said that a look at the number of Covid-19 cases timeline in India revealed that, “the curve is relatively flat and there was no sharp jump/spike in the trajectory.”
- No major side-effects of Hydroxychloroquine have been found in studies in India and its use should be continued in preventive treatment for Covid-19, the Indian Council of Medical Research said.
- Union health ministry Preeti Sudan suggested five states reporting a surge in Covid-19 cases over the last three weeks to analyse the trends in containment zones and adopt course correction measures through proper implementation of micro-plans. The states are Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh and Madhya Pradesh.
- Taking cognizance of the “unfortunate and miserable” plight of the migrant labourers stranded across the country due to the Covid-19 lockdown, the Supreme Court said they need “succour and help by the concerned governments” with regard to free food and shelter.
- A total of 832 flights carrying 58,318 passengers operated on Monday, said civil aviation minister Hardeep Singh Puri, revising his earlier figures. On Monday evening, Puri had said that total 532 flights carrying 39,231 passengers had operated during the day.
- The Indian Railways has ferried around 42 lakh migrant workers on board 3,276 ‘Shramik Special’ trains since May 1, according to official data. Of the total trains, 2,875 have terminated, while 401 are on the run.
- Kerala: Sixty seven new Covid-19 cases were reported in Kerala, the highest single day spike so far, with Palakkad district alone clocking 29 cases and those under observation crossing the one lakh mark. The total Covid tally in the state has touched 963.
- Delhi: The coronavirus death toll in Delhi has mounted to 288, while 412 fresh cases of Covid-19 infection were reported, taking the virus tally in the city to 14,465.
- West Bengal: The number of Covid-19 cases in West Bengal reached 4,009, with 193 more people testing positive for the disease.
- UP: Uttar Pradesh confirmed 197 new Covid-19 cases in the state in the last 24 hours. 197 new positive cases have been reported in the last 24 hours. The number of active cases of Covid-19 rise to 2680 in Uttar Pradesh.
- Tripura: Four more persons tested positive for Covid-19 in Tripura, taking the state’s total to 198.
- Maharashtra: A 31-year-old employee of the provident fund office in Maharashtra’s Thane city died of Covid-19. The death has kicked up a row between the staff union and management, with the former blaming the latter of failure to follow precautionary measures. Maharashtra has so far recorded the maximum number of cases of Covid-19 with 52,667 people.
- Manipur: Three more persons have tested positive for the novel coronavirus in Manipur, taking the total number of cases in the state to 39.
- Goa: Goa government expressed confidence that the coronavirus situation in the state will soon improve and the number of active cases will be reduced to zero. The coastal state has 46 active coronavirus patients who are recovering.
- Uttarakhand: The state reported 51 fresh Covid-19 cases, taking the total number in the state to 400.
- Odisha: Eighty-four people recovered from Covid-19 in Odisha today. With the recovery of 84 patients, the number of active cases in the state has came down to 777.
- Assam: As many as 47 new Covid-19 cases have been detected in Assam, taking the total to 595.
- Chhattisgarh: At least 15 more people, mostly migrant workers, have tested positive for coronavirus in Chhattisgarh, taking the tally of cases in the state to 307.
- Karnataka: A total of 100 new cases of Covid-19 have been reported in Karnataka, taking the total number of infections in the state to 2,282.
- J&K: A 90-year-old man from Kulgam district, who had tested positive for coronavirus, died on Tuesday, taking the Covid-related death toll in Jammu and Kashmir to 24.
- Puducherry: Two more fresh positive Covid-19 cases have been reported in Puducherry, raising the tally of active cases in the Union territory to 34.
- Nagaland: A man, who returned from Chennai recently, tested positive for Covid-19, taking the total number of active cases in Nagaland to four.
- Rajasthan: The state recorded 76 new cases of coronavirus. The number of cases in the state now stand at 7,376 and fatalities at 167.
- Andhra Pradesh: With 97 fresh Covid-19 cases, the total number of infections in Andhra Pradesh climbed to 2,983 while one death due to the virus was reported, taking the toll in the state to 57.
- HP: Ten more people tested positive for the novel coronavirus in Himachal Pradesh, taking the number of cases to 234.
- A top health expert is warning that the world is still smack in the middle of the pandemic, dampening hopes for a speedy global economic rebound and renewed international travel. “Right now, we’re not in the second wave. We’re right in the middle of the first wave globally,” said Dr Mike Ryan, the WHO’s executive director.
- The novel coronavirus has killed at least 346,296 people since the outbreak first emerged in China last December. At least 5,507,700 cases of coronavirus have been registered in 196 countries and territories.
- Pope Francis on Sunday will address the faithful once more from his window overlooking Saint Peter’s Square, the Vatican said, as the government eased its coronavirus lockdown further in the Vatican city.
- Britain’s number of deaths “involving” the coronavirus has risen to 46,000, substantially higher than the 36,914 fatalities officially reported so far, according to a statistical update.
- The Russian government has reported a record daily spike of 174 deaths, which brought the country’s death toll to 3,807. Russia’s coronavirus caseload surpassed 360,000, with almost 9,000 new infections registered in the past 24 hours.
- Pakistan reported 1,356 new coronavirus infections and 30 deaths during the last 24 hours, taking the total number of Covid-19 cases to 57,705 and the number of fatalities to 1,197 in the country.
- Iran further eased restrictions aimed at curbing the spread of the novel coronavirus by allowing restaurants to accept customers, as it announced another 57 deaths from the virus. Health ministry spokesman Kianoush Jahanpour reported 57 additional Covid-19 deaths in the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of fatalities in the country to 7,508.
- Nepal recorded its highest single-day surge in the coronavirus cases with 90 new infections, taking the total Covid-19 tally to 772.