NEW DELHI: The Centre on Tuesday said that India’s fatality rate due to coronavirus is 2.82 per cent and it is one of the lowest in the world. Only 10 per cent of India’s population accounts for 50 per cent of India’s Covid-19 linked deaths and 73 per cent of Covid-19 deaths in India are people with co-morbidities, according to the Union health ministry. The total number of cases in the country now stands at 1,98,706 including 5,598 deaths.
Here are the top developments:
- India is far away from the peak of Covid-19 spread and its preventive measures have been “very effective”, putting it in a much better position in comparison with other countries, the Centre said even as the case count and death toll continued to mount.
- The Union health ministry said a total of 95,527 patients have been cured of Covid-19, while 3,708 have recovered in the last 24 hours. Recovery rate is now 48.07 per cent, up from 11.42 per cent on April 15.
- The health ministry also said that Remdesivir has been approved for emergency use to treat Covid-19 patients.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi said that self-reliance will be India’s priority in the face of coronavirus crisis and assured India Inc that economic growth will return soon as the country leaves behind lockdown period and enters ‘Unlock Phase 1.’
- ICMR is conducting a sero-survey to assess the extent of spread of COVID-19 and almost 34,000 people are being tested as a part of it. The results will be out in the public domain by the end of this week or early next week.
- Domestic air travel in the country is picking up the pace as 692 flights carrying 64,651 passengers operated on June 1 against 501 flights with 44,593 flyers the day before, civil aviation minister Hardeep Singh Puri said.
- Rajiv Gandhi Bhawan, which houses civil aviation ministry and airports authority of India offices, has been sealed for sanitisation after 4 AAI employees tested positive for Covid-19, government officials said.
- The National Green Tribunal will conduct proceedings from the dais of the court rooms in the NGT complex from June 8 through video conferencing only, a notice said.
- Ride-hailing company Uber said it has set up a sanitisation hub at the Delhi airport in partnership with Delhi International Airport Ltd to disinfect cars before every single trip.
- UP: The death toll due to Covid-19 rose to 223 in Uttar Pradesh, with one fresh fatality and the total number of cases in the state rose to 8,532 as 171 more people tested positive for the disease.
- Delhi: Chief minister Arvind Kejriwal launched an app named ‘Delhi Corona’ that will give information to patients about the availability of beds in private and government hospitals. As many as 10 people have tested positive for Covid-19 at Delhi LG Anil Baijal’s office.
- Uttarakhand: Forty-one more people tested positive for Covid-19 in Uttarakhand, taking the total number of infections in the state to 999.
- Andhra Pradesh: The aggregate number of coronavirus cases touched 3,791 in Andhra Pradesh as the upward spiral continued with 115 additions in the last 24 hours.
- Puducherry: Nine fresh Covid-19 cases were reported in Puducherry, taking the total number of infections in the Union territory to 82.
- Odisha: The state reported 141 new Covid-19 cases, taking the total number of people infected with the disease to 2,245 in the state.
- Rajasthan: The novel coronavirus cases in Rajasthan rose to 9,271 after 171 people tested positive, while two more deaths took the toll to 201.
- Mizoram: Twelve people who recently returned from Delhi and Kolkata have tested positive for the novel coronavirus in Mizoram. The state had earlier reported only one Covid-19 case on March 24.
- Tamil Nadu: Hairdressing in salons and beauty parlours in Tamil Nadu will require Aadhar card with the state government making it mandatory on the part of service providers to collect details, including the unique ID number, from customers as part of preventive measures against Covid-19.
- J&K: Two more people succumbed to Covid-19 in Jammu and Kashmir in the last 24 hours, taking the death toll in the Union territory to 33. Jammu and Kashmir had 2,601 Covid-19 cases, so far.
- Manipur: The state reported two new Covid-19 cases, taking the total number of corona patients to 85.
- Kerala: In the highest single day spike so far, 86 positive cases were reported in Kerala, taking the tally of Covid-19 cases to 1,412 as one more person succumbed to the virus.
- Assam: The number of coronavirus cases in Assam reached 1,513 after 28 more people tested positive for Covid-19.
- West Bengal: Amid the sharp rise in Covid-19 cases following the return of migrant workers, the West Bengal government has decided to set up 15 more dedicated hospitals for coronavirus patients.
- Nagaland: The state reported six more Covid- 19 cases, taking the total number of people afflicted with coronavirus in the state to 49.
- Goa: Six new positive cases were reported in the state today, taking the total number of positive cases to 79 including 22 active cases and 57 who have recovered.
- Punjab: Forty-one new Covid-19 positive cases were reported in Punjab, taking the total number of cases in the state to 2342.
- Physical distancing of two metres or more can prevent person-to-person transmission of Covid-19, according to a comprehensive review of studies published in The Lancet journal, which also found that face masks and eye protection may decrease the risk of infection too.
- The novel coronavirus has killed at least 375,555 people since the outbreak first emerged in China last December. At least 6,279,390 cases of coronavirus have been registered in 196 countries and territories.
- The United States is the worst-hit country with 105,147 deaths from 1,811,277 cases. At least 458,231 people have been declared recovered.
- Coronavirus deaths in Russia passed the 5,000 mark as authorities eased lockdown measures and prepared to announce steps to kickstart the economy. Health officials registered 182 new fatalities in the last 24 hours, bringing the total to 5,037.
- Singapore reported 544 new coronavirus cases, as low-risk businesses began operations with the end of the near two-month long “circuit-breaker” period in the country. Now the total number of Covid-19 cases stands at 35,836.
- Pakistan’s Covid-19 cases reached 76,398 after 3,938 new infections were reported across the country, while the death toll due to the coronavirus has gone up to 1,621.
- Africa’s coronavirus cases have surpassed 150,000 while the WHO says the continent of 1.3 billion people is still the region least affected. Concerns remain high as some of Africa’s 54 countries struggle with when to reopen schools and parts of their economies.
- Afghanistan reported 759 new Covid-19 cases within the past 24 hours, bringing the total tally to 16,509 cases.
- Bangladesh has confirmed its first coronavirus death among the Rohingya refugees, amid growing concern from the international rights groups on the high transmission rate in the packed camps which house over a million displaced people from Myanmar, according to media reports.
- Nepal reported its highest single-day increase in coronavirus cases with 288 new infections, taking the total number of patients to 2,099.