Fire officials said that a call of gas leakage was reported at US Vitamin after which firemen were deputed for…Read More
MUMBAI: Panic spread in many parts of eastern suburb and Powai after a reported gas leakage at US Vitamin company, near Indira apartment, Govandi (E). After initial examination the firemen didn’t find any leakage in the premises.
Fire officials said that a call of gas leakage was reported at US Vitamin after which firemen were deputed for the examination.
Chief fire officer PS Rahangdale said, “No leakage was found at US Vitamin. Also another locations was given at Pant Nagar in Ghatkopar. Fire engines searched around 2km area of Ghatkopar but no leakage could be found.“
Earlier Rahangade said that initially gas leakage source was confirmed at US Vitamin after which the fire brigade deployed fire engines to investigate the leakage.
The BMC disaster control room received several call of fouls odour from the parts of the city in eastern suburb since late Saturday, but initially there was confirmation about the source of the smell.
Mumbai fire brigade said “We have received a couple of complaints of suspected gas leak, from residents in Chembur, Ghatkopar, Kanjurmarg, Vikhroli & Powai..”
Shiv Sena minister Aaditya Thackeray tweeted, “With regards to the foul odour across some parts of Mumbai, as of now the Mumbai Fire Brigade has been activated with its SoPs. I appeal to all to stay indoors, not panic. Close your windows. @mybmc is actively monitoring this situation.”
PS Rahangdale advised that people should take precaution by using wet towel or handkerchief as mask to cover nose.
Officials from Mahanagar Gas Limited said it has nothing to do with MGL. “MGL has been receiving complaints of gas smell from various parts of Mumbai since around 10pm. Our emergency teams have spread out to the sites from where such complaints were received. We are checking our pipeline systems but have not come across any breach which could result in leakage of gas,” a senior official said.
“There are reports of some kind of gas leak coming all over from Sion/ Chembur to Powai. But we have been asked by BMC twitter handle and also those of fire brigade not to panic,” said a resident on Powai.