Indian, Chinese armies disengaging in phased manner in eastern Ladakh: Army chief | India News

61 Views
Jun 13, 2020

DEHRADUN/NEW DELHI: Army chief Gen M M Naravane has said that disengagement between Indian and Chinese troops in eastern Ladakh has begun in a phased manner from the Galwan river area in the north while expressing hope the ongoing military dialogue will resolve “all the perceived differences” between India and China.
“I would like to assure everyone that the entire situation along our borders with China is under control. We are having a series of talks which started with the corps commander level talks, which was followed up with meetings at the local level between commanders of equivalent ranks,” said Gen Naravane, speaking on the sidelines of the passing out parade at the Indian Military Academy in Dehradun.
“Both sides are disengaging in a phased manner. We have started from the north, from the area of the Galwan river, where a lot of disengagement has taken place. It has been a very fruitful dialogue that we have had. And as I said, it will go on and the situation will improve as we go on,” said Gen Naravane.
On a question if the Chinese have refused to retreat from Indian territory at Pangong near Finger 8, the COAS said that he would not “like to use the word retreat in any context.”
“There is no retreat. The correct world would be disengagement,” he said.
The troop confrontation between India and China began after People’s Liberation Army soldiers intruded into Indian territory at multiple points in eastern Ladakh as well as Naku La in north Sikkim in early-May and saw the two countries carry out troop build-ups all along the 3,488-km line of actual control.
Earlier this week, after the June 6 meeting between 14 Corps commander Lt-Gen Harinder Singh and South Xinjiang Military District chief Major Gen Liu Lin, both India and China slightly pulled back their troops by around 1-2 km at the face-off sites in the Galwan Valley and Gogra-Hot Springs areas of eastern Ladakh.
But there has been no easing of tensions in the major face-off on the north bank of Pangong Tso, where Chinese soldiers have blocked Indian patrols going west to east from “Finger 4 to 8” (mountainous spurs separated by a distance of 8-km) since early-May, as was earlier reported by TOI.
The Army chief, however, said the continuing military dialogue, which has already seen five rounds of talks between major-generals in addition to brigadier and colonel-level meetings, will “set to rest” all perceived differences between the two countries.
Replying to a question on Nepal, which has revised its map to depict Indian territories of Lipulekh, Kalapani and Limpiyadhura as its own, the Army chief said India has always had strong ties with Nepal and they will remain strong in future.
“We have a very strong relationship with Nepal. We have geographical, cultural, historical, religious linkages. We have very strong people-to-people connect. Our relationship with them has always been strong and will remain strong in the future,” he said.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *