NEW DELHI: The Supreme Court on Tuesday directed Centre and state governments to identify the migrant workers who want to go back to their native place from their workplaces and finish the process of their transportation in 15 days. The matter has been fixed for further hearing on July 8.
Here are the key points:
* The SC has ordered states and UTs to prepare a complete list of migrant workers who have reached their state and mention the work they were engaged in prior to lockdown.
* The SC asked Centre and states to specify schemes for employment of these migrant workers post-lockdown.
* The SC asked Centre and state governments to give details of all welfare schemes which can be availed by migrant workers.
* The SC has said that the Railways will provide Shramik Special trains to the states and UTs within 24 hours of receiving the request.
* Centre had said states have requested for 171 trains only for transporting remaining migrant workers to their homes.
* The SC orders withdrawal of all police complaints against migrant workers who have been booked for violating lockdown norms while attempting to get back home from their workplaces.